SSL & Website Hosting Security
Look up. See the padlock icon next to the web address? That icon let’s you know this page is securely transmitting data between your computer and the website server. Your website should have this protection too. You can protect your website for free with most of our web hosting packages.
You should always protect your website with HTTPS, even if it doesn’t handle sensitive information or transactions. Aside from providing critical security and data integrity for both your website and your users’ personal information, HTTPS is fast becoming a requirement for many new browsers, search engines, and web applications.
Google Chrome will flag unencrypted websites with a login form or credit card processing as “Not Secure” right in the browser (more background), and other browsers are sure to follow suit. Just as important, Google announced they will start weighing search results based on encryption, giving encrypted sites preference over unencrypted ones all the way back to 2014.
Why use Let’s Encrypt?
The key principles behind Let’s Encrypt are:
- Free: Anyone who owns a domain name can use Let’s Encrypt to obtain a trusted certificate at zero cost.
- Automatic: Software running on a web server can interact with Let’s Encrypt to painlessly obtain a certificate, securely configure it for use, and automatically take care of renewal.
- Secure: Let’s Encrypt will serve as a platform for advancing TLS security best practices, both on the CA side and by helping site operators properly secure their servers.
- Transparent: All certificates issued or revoked will be publicly recorded and available for anyone to inspect.
- Open: The automatic issuance and renewal protocol will be published as an open standard that others can adopt.
- Cooperative: Much like the underlying Internet protocols themselves, Let’s Encrypt is a joint effort to benefit the community, beyond the control of any one organization.